Friday, October 15, 2010

Much to Share!

Hello All,

I have finally decided to write another post (how many months later?!). It is sometimes disappointing how much I allow "life" to get in the way of the things I really want to do. But...no more of that attitude on this blog!

The last time I wrote I was still in summer school at a community college here in ABQ. I took Anatomy and Physiology II, lab and lecture...demanding courses, indeed. Thanks to the wonderful professors and my (last minute) study habits, I earned A's in both classes. Hip hip hooray! I am now into the LAST (let me say it again, please....LAST) semester of my undergraduate degree at UNM. This has been a fairly enjoyable semester thus far...mainly elective courses. Music Appreciation, included! Unfortunately though, I dropped the Photography class. It turned out to be a class that frustrated me more than it helped/inspired me to learn. I always feel like a quitter when I drop a class, but I made the right decision. I found that soon after the class started, I stopped enjoying taking pictures...and that is just no bueno! for an aspiring photographer! I've been looking into a camera club here in Albuquerque, called the Enchanted Lens Photography Club. It seems laid back and I've heard great things about it, so I'm considering becoming a member very soon. I am so interested in photography and I feel like I have potential, so pursuing it is something I really want to take seriously. Is it silly to say that one of my dreams is to become a photographer for National Geographic? :)

As for what has been going on in my life, in chronological order...

Walnut Valley Bluegrass Festival 2010! Folks, this was the best (out of 3, haha) BG that I have ever been to! The company was amazing, the music was delectable, and the weather was...well, it was the same as always for Kansas in September (aside from a near death experience with a twister!) Okay, I am exaggerating a bit with the whole "near death experience," but the tornado was very exciting! It graced us with its presence the first night I arrived (Wednesday) and ripped through our campsite. Luckily for us, it did very little damage and the show went on! So originally, I had planned on having company on this 11 hour roadtrip, but it turned out to be just me and the road. This, by the way, was one of my favorite features of the whole trip. I love driving alone...windows down, radio up, scenery passing me by, nothing to pay attention to but the road and my thoughts. Lovely. Basically, it was an extended weekend of nothing but fun with people I adore and music that gets my soul a'singin! I now invite you to check out a few of the pictures from this knee-slappin' event:
Camp Midnight Tater Soup: Jeff, me, Layn, Jamie, Megan, Tonya, Dave, Bill, Laura, and Justin
This was on one of the our famous "walkabouts" in the middle of the night...or very early morning, not too sure. We still look decent in this photo, so I'm guessing it was earlier in the night. :)

Now, that is a wall cloud! I took this on our way back to camp after a very rushed dinner with Tonya, our camp mom, telling us that we needed to get back "like now!" We made it back just in time to jump into Justin and Laura's car, head to their parents, and sprint into their outdoor storm shelter. Like I said, very exciting! 

The story of the Little Red Flag and the Blonde who could not figure out that it said "We Crack Ourselves Up" and not "Ticket Egg Clock Elves Upwards Arrow...WTF?!"


Our lovely little campsite and all the folks I miss like the dickens!
From the left...Dave, Justin, Jamie, Bill (likely grabbing a beer) and the amazing Laura.


This, folks, is Tonya...the previously mentioned Camp Mom. I just had to post this photo because it makes me smile and I love this lady. Tonya is Loretta Lynn's biggest fan and when she found this shirt she lit up like a Christmas tree. It was basically one of the cutest things I've ever seen and I just had to share it with you. :)

This photo really captures the essence of Bluegrass.
Yes sir, it sure does.


...as does this one.
What would you bet that these two individuals will meet, procreate, and live happily ever after?

Goooood times at Stage 5!

(I'm starting to think that I should have created a whole post for Bluegrass pictures!)


Those hippies love their bluegrass.
Stage 7 Heaven.


Those hillbillies love their hippie cutouts.
Jamie and Megan...my favorite camp entertainers!


They are laughing at the scene in the previous picture and I love their smiles. :)

Justin and Laura. Sweetest couple ever.
This is literally the last picture I took at BG this year and I think it tells the perfect story of "Babe, I'm ready to pack up and go home." I think everyone who's been knows what I mean by this. On the last day of the festival, you're just plain ready to go home, even if it was the best time ever. It's always kind of sad when Sunday rolls around and you have to pack up your tent and the little nest you've made for yourself...but, alas, reality has to set back in eventually!

Well, I hope you've enjoyed these pictures...there are many, many more. But, if you're friends with me on Facebook, you can find them in the "I Survived the Tornado of '10" album. :)

I've decided that this is a very long post so far. So, I am going to end now and begin a "Much to Share II" post soon! (Maybe even right now!)

Oh, I almost forgot!...Tip to Build a Log Cabin: most log cabins are built of coniferous trees, such as firs and pines. This is mainly due to their softness and malleable characteristics.

2 comments:

  1. LOVED the post!! I don't blame you for dropping the class. I can only imagine it would just zap the fun and creative "in the moment" feeling out of photography. The camera club sounds cool. AND I love that one of your dreams is to shoot for National Geographic. I can totally see you doing that!!

    I miss you like the dickens too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your post! I've been meaning to do more with my Blog but, eh...I've been having some personal time listening to FreeState and Loretta and crying over Ches' Senior year..hmph. Love and miss ya!

    ReplyDelete